Seconds win at Newick to stay top

Posted by SPCC SPCC
St Peter's Cricket Club

Having moved top with a comfortable win last week the 2’s looked to continue their momentum away at Newick.

Things started well as Richard won the toss and sent the Saints out to bowl on an interesting looking wicket. Marco returned to take the new ball with the Doctor (GP) and both caused problems on a helpful deck and were made to look even better by some interesting shot selections. Graham drew first blood by giving Tim a routine catch and the cleverly got the other opener to retire hurt putting his back out trying to hit a 12.

Soon after we witnessed to of the worst bits of cricket I have ever seen, can’t remember which way round they happened but we were gifted a run out went the ball was hit straight to Brooklyn at regulation mid-off and the batsman tried to run when there was less than half a run available. This was topped by the Dave Andrews experiment (he tried an over of leg spin) which is best left to your imagination.

The run out took the score to 51 for 2 and sparked a collapse seeing the home side dismissed for 98. There was good bowling all round with Graham and Marco taking 3 a piece Harvey getting a well deserved 2 (despite a drop from myself) and one for the skipper.

The reply was forced to start straight away as a less then happy tea lady informing us that the food was not ready and myself and Jordan strode out to the middle. It would be fair to say that Jord has not been in the best of form but eased his nerves by getting off the mark by lofting a pull shot into the gap between cover and mid-off to grab a single. Both ticked along nicely before I got a leading edge to mid-on to allow myself to enjoy tea fully. Greg joined Jordan in the middle and set about making hay hitting 4’s all round the wicket and went Jordan was given LBW(the ball only had 5 meters to go) we were looking good on 60-2. Unfortunately we decided to make a bit of hard work of it with Ant (having a go at 4) Rowland, Dave (I’m not an allrounder) Andrews and Greg (jug avoider) Lee all losing their wickets before Marco and James guided us over line.

Another comfortable win (although not as comfortable as it should have been) keeps us top, well done to the whole bowling unit (who were well backed up in the field apart from me (sorry again Harvey)) and well batted Greg with 44 (need to jug it up this week). Lets keep it going and see if we can start getting some daylight between us and 2nd!